Lower Mill, Higher Mill Farm (Edgcott)

Location :51.13947,-3.65499

A mill and leat are recorded on historic mapping. It was gifted by Robert Baker in 1755, with the proceeds used to clothe the poor of Hawkcombe and Exford Parishes. The corn mill was powered by an overshot wheel made by John Brayley of Molland in 1870.

References: Exmoor HER – MSO11250 – Lower Mill, Higher Mill Farm

Full Description
“Mill leat” printed on Ordnance Survey Aarchaeological Division 6 inch map.
Leat from tributary of River Exe from SS 8412 3960. Iron trough, relief hatches etc. Overshot wheel with 36 wooden buckets. Pit wheel 56 feet by 4 feet.
Higher Mill and Lower Mill are indicated on Exford Tithe Map and the Ordnance Survey 1st and 2nd Edition maps with a leat indicated running south from a weir on the Allcombe Water (at the grid refence above SS 8412 3960) running west of Downscombe Farm. The building labelled Lower Mill (SS 8431 3911) was the mill building, labelled 1138 on the Tithe Map, owned by the Poor of Exford and occupied by Richard Court. The main leat is shown flowing under the building on the Tithe Map, but a major diversion is shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition map to the northwest, with an offshoot instead flowing to the building. It is marked as a corn mill on this map.
On 7th January 1755, Rober Baker willed his messuage or tenement of Lower Mill to Francis Squire (then Rector of Exford), and various other named persons in Trust (the number was to remain at ten, with new trustees elected by the remainder). 40 shillings (two pounds) was to be paid annually on the first Sunday after the Feast of All Saints for the use of the poor of Hawkridge parish, in order to clothe those most in need. The remainder was to be distributed as clothing amongst the poor of Exford at Christmas.
The property was noted to have a dwelling house, millhouse, malthouse, a cottage and garden, with six acres of land, all let for 20 pounds 7 shillings a year.
The building is mentioned in a publication on the industrial archaeology of Somerset. Lower Mill is noted to have an overshot wheel made by John Brayley of Molland in 1870. The leat runs alongside the road, fed by the Allcombe Water.

See also: