Nynehead House ROW Bridge No. 5134

Bridge Name:   Nynehead House ROW Bridge No. 5134
No.:   42
Location:   50.99413,-3.23004 Footpath WG8/19
Build Date:   1817
Engineer:   Thomas Lee
Former road bridge over River Tone on drive to Nynehead Court (qv), now disused. Dated 1817. By Thomas Lee for W A Sandford. Brick faced with grey Knapp sandstone, ashlar coursed with V joints giving strong vertical emphasis, voussoirs, strongly moulded string course, parapet of large dressed blocks rising from string course with chamfered tops. Plan: 3 arch span, shallow elliptical arches, cutwaters both sides but mostly submerged in mud, square piers abutting, topped with small square plinths that probably carried some sculptural decoration when erected. Soffit of central arch with inserted York stone slab inscribed “W A Sandford 1817”, soffit of south arch plain, north not visible from bank. North-west pier damaged, north-east pier obscured by ivy at time of survey (February 1985), string course damaged in places and obscured by ivy, fissure in south-west abutment. A fine design that was exhibited at the Royal Acadaemy in 1818. (Colvin, Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1978). English Heritage Listed Building Number: 271006. First Listed on 25/01/1956.1
References:   1. Somerset HER 40957